Here’s my invitation before you start: make some time for this exercise. Even if you’ve got your goals for 2017 all planned out. Take yourself out of your regular environment. Go get a coffee somewhere or take a notebook to your nearest park.
Your task for the day: to survey your existing landscape (by that I refer to your life as it stands currently). Here are a couple of questions you can ask yourself:
- Where, honestly, are you now?
- What’s working well in your current reality?
- What isn’t working?
- What do you want to change in your life now?
- What’s happening in other areas of your life?
- How will achieving this goal affect other areas of your life?
- (Any others you can think of)
This exercise is to help you establish a broader context for your goal. And is this worth doing? For sure, because you will connect more strongly with how something makes you feel than you will to a goal on your list.
And as I warned yesterday, it can bring about some discomfort. When I went through the process myself, I had powerful realisations of what wasn’t working. And seeing how I was standing in my own way was no fun..but if I hadn’t gone through this exercise, I wouldn’t have this level of awareness.
I’d love your feedback on what this task brought up for you!